P.O. Box 1155
Larkspur, California, 94977
Support and Information Line
your government agencies and local media contacts
that you are sick and tired of being sick and tired
and you are not going to take toxins anymore! -- barb
- CPSC -- Consumer Products Safety Commission
E-Mail comments to "Information Center" Info@cpsc.gov
Your CPSC wants to hear from you about fabric softeners polluting neighborhood air -- air you
and your children must breathe. If you -- or family members -- have adverse reactions to fabric
softeners, tell that to the CPSC. Following is their note to me. -- barb
CPSC has jurisdiction over fabric softeners.
We are interested in obtaining additional information regarding your health
reactions to fabric softeners. Please call us toll-free at 800-638-2772,
8:30am to 5:00pm, Eastern time, Monday through Friday. Press 1 to begin and
then press 999 to report adverse reactions to FABRIC SOFTENERS or other such similarly scented products.
If you prefer, you can file an incident report via our web site at
www.cpsc.gov. Click on the "Report Unsafe Products" icon, then
scroll down the page to the incident report prompt.
Please note that you can obtain CPSC publications, recalls and general
safety-related information via our web site at mentioned above. Click on
the "Search" icon, scroll down the page and type in your topic.
- EPA -- Environmental Protection Agency
Contact the EPA
EHN's links out to various EPA sections
Do try to keep abreast of all of the EPA public comment periods on items such as
pesticides. I can't keep up with all of the info .... but I recommend getting on
Steve Tvedten's mailing list and visiting his website. E-Mail: email@example.com
Steve's website is Get Set Inc.: http://www.getipm.com/ -- barb
- FDA -- Food and Drug Administration
FDA Petition: The FDA Citizens' Petition will remain open until closed by the FDA.
EHN petitions the FDA to follow its regulations, already on its books. We ask that the FDA requires warning labels on fragrances released to market without adequate testing.
If you have adverse reactions to fragrances AND / OR, if you feel that the public has a right-to-know about these products, which are unregulated and are further protected by trade secret status, write to the FDA. Reference "Docket Number: 99P-1340/CP 1" and e-mail your comments to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Synthetic fragrances contain chemicals that can enter one's body via absorption and inhalation. Some of the individual chemicals are known or suspected irritants, sensitizers, neurotoxins, carcinogens, and teratogens (affecting embryonic and fetal development). Too many of the chemicals have no toxicological data available. Often you find that chemicals used in a product that is inhaled, have no data on adverse effects suffered upon inhalation. Nor have the chemical formulations been adequately tested for inhalation or neurotoxitiy, nor systemic, long-term or carcinogenic effects.
WRITE to the FDA. Today. (Contact info available at
Be sure to check the chemicals found in popular synthetic scents --
See what the industry has to say, scroll below the image on
February 2002: Make the cognitive connect that escapes our government agencies charged with protecting public health. Read:
Scents and sensitivities - What to know before buying a Valentine¼s Day perfumeFor years the industry has claimed that its products are thoroughly tested. The industry
By Francesca Lyman; Feb. 6, 2002; MSNBC CONTRIBUTOR
claims it meets or exceeds government standards -- easy to do when the government doesn't
regulate your industry and is impotent to do anything about products even after their release to
market. But now, we read in the article by Ms. Lyman:
In response to the perceived problems of fragrances in the air, Roberts says that hisOK, either the industry has been adequately testing for years or it has just begun the
industry group has begun the first study to examine fragrance inhalation. 'We¼re
spending a lot of money on this,' he says, 'to understand the systemic effects of fragrances
on organs and nervous system, what happens when fragrances are inhaled.' [Glenn Roberts,
Research Institute for Fragrance Materials. Emphasis added.]
first study . . . Which is it?
All of those chemically poisoned by synthetic scents know these products have been released to
market without adequate testing for inhalation, neurotoxicity, carcinogenic effects, for long-term
and systemic effects. Plus we also know that not even the dermatologists have considered
adverse effects suffered from secondary and tertiary exposures. Alas, the industry and our FDA
were more interested in trivializing our health problems than in listening to us. HAD we
been heard, millions more may have been spared life with chemical injury.
So, write to your Representative, your Senators, the FDA, and while you are in a writing mood, please be sure to thank Ms Lyman for her article. -- barb
Communicating with FDA
How to Report Adverse Reactions And Other Problems with Products Regulated by FDA
ONGOING: If your health is adversely affected by fragrance products
used by you -- or others -- PLEASE inform:
Mr. Lark Lambert - LZL@cfsan.fda.gov
Office of Cosmetics and Colors
Cosmetic Adverse Reaction Monitoring Program
200 C St. SW
Washington, DC 20204
or phone or fax to:
Mr. Charles Haynes - CRH@cfsan.fda.gov
200 C Street, S.W.
Washington, DC 20204
or phone or fax to:
SNIFF (Safe Notification and Information for Fragrances Act)
Spend a little extra energy to write to your representative and ask her/him to co-sponsor Rep. Jan Schakowsky's bill HR 1947, Safe Notification and Information for Fragrances Act (SNIFF), introduced in the House, May 22, 2001. SNIFF is co-sponsored by Rep. Shelley Berkley (D NV) on May 22,2001 and by Rep. Chaka Fattah (D-PA) on July 18, 2001. Also, write to your state senators and ask them to introduce a similar bill in the Senate.
You can follow this bill through THOMAS Legislative Information on the Internet at http://thomas.loc.gov/home/thomas.html. Key in HR 1947 in the box labeled "By Bill Number" and click the search button. It is also availabe to you through a search function on the site of the House's Office of the Clerk at http://clerk.house.gov/index.php.
If you don't have contact info for your representative or senators, visit EHN's Governmentsection on this page, or the House's Office of the Clerk at http://clerk.house.gov/index.php, the House at http://www.house.gov/ and the Senate at http://www.senate.gov/
It was reportedly better to write your representatives via snail mail ... too much spam on the net. However with the fall 2001 events, I'm not sure what the latest conventional wisdom dictates. Should you choose to use US Postal Service, mailing addresses can be found via the links above.
To find historical information on Safe Notification and Information for Fragrances Act (SNIFF), go into Thomas and the info on the 106th Congress at http://thomas.loc.gov/bss/d106query.html Then, under "word/phrase," you can key in "fragrance" -- without quotes and click search OR at "Bill/Amendment No.:" enter "hr 5238" or "H.R. 5238" --
again, without quotes -- and click search.
- Government Links
- Executive Branch
- Legislative: Representatives and Senators
- House's Office of the Clert
- ETHICS MANUAL FOR MEMBERS, OFFICERS, AND EMPLOYEES OF THE U.S. HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
"Please note: This document is to be used for reference purposes only. The printed manual is the official version. The Committee is in the process of revising and updating this Manual, which was published in 1992. On any subject, both the Manual and the Committee's advisory memoranda should be consulted. The advisory memoranda are organized by subject in the Highlights of the Ethics Rules.
102d Congress, 2d Session
- Historical Highlights & FAQs
- Write Your Representative Service
Select your state, enter ZIP plus four digit extention to get form to write your representative. -- barb
- Representatives' web pages -- listed by name
- Representative Waxman (mercury and other environmental issues)
Contacting Rep Waxman (D California)
- U.S. Senate
Email addresses for California's Senators
Senator Barbara Boxer: email@example.com
Senator Dianne Feinstein: firstname.lastname@example.org
CALIF. ASSEMBLY MEMBERS
Found August 2002. -- barb
Other means by which to reach Representatives and Senators
- C-Span's Write to Congress
You can use this to write to representatives and senators other than your own.
Just click on Write to Congress in the left-side window. -- barb
Write to Congress
- Contacting the Congress
Site maintained by Juan E. Cabanela / email@example.com
"NEWS NOTE: Contacting the Congress has received many emails recently reporting
that email addressed to Congressmembers is bouncing back. It appears now that a recent
study has confirmed what has been long suspected, Capitol Hill is ill-equipped for
email (the study refered to in the article is available online). This, combined with recent
stories on problems with the Senate Email Servers suggests that if your message is really
important you should consider sending it via fax or phone (numbers available here).
It also suggests you should only mail your members of Congress, since spamming
everyone in Congress just contributes to this problem. (March 20, 2001). "
- Contacting the Congress
- Internet Sites of the State Legislatures
- List of California State Assemblymembers
- California's newly elected Audie Bock
Green Party member from Calif. Assembly Dist 16
How about broadening her horizons? -- barb
Return to top
- Media Contacts -- E-Mail Addresses
- Air News Link, a site of links to major news sources,
including newspapers, radio and TV
- PR Tips
- Tips, Tricks & Hints
- Eclectic E-mail list
With thanks to
North Carolina Chemical Injury Network (http://www.NCchem.com/)
- Internet Publicity Resources - TENAGRA
- News Break from The Wilson World
An excellent resource
I do not define my patriotism by jingoism.
-- Barb Wilkie, September 2001
The Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ)
Ashcroft nomination . . .
- ALAN HALE¼S LETTER TO THE SENATE OPPOSING THE CONFIRMATION
OF JOHN ASHCROFT AND GALE NORTON
January 16, 2001
News and Information
- Hundreds of Thousands of Americans March Against War
By Reuters; Jan 19, 2003, 14:38
- U.S. Plan Could Ease Limits on Wetlands Development
By Douglas Jehl: New York Times; Jan 13, 2003, 10:12
"WASHINGTON, Jan. 10 -- The Bush administration opened the way today for a
redefinition of federal rules that could remove obstacles to development on millions of
acres of isolated wetlands historically protected under the Clean Water Act. ..."
- Common Dreams News Center
- 'A Chill Wind is Blowing in This Nation...'
Transcript of the speech given by actor Tim Robbins to the National Press
Club in Washington, D.C., on April 15, 2003.
Published on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 by CommonDreams.org
- Memo Exposes Bush's New Green Strategy
by Oliver Burkeman in Washington
Published on Tuesday, March 4, 2003 by the Guardian/UK
- Paul Wellstone
Wellstone service: A labor of love, logistics
- Stupefying Stance on Global Warming
by Molly Ivins; Published on Thursday, June 6, 2002 in the Baltimore Sun
How Our Conservative Citizens are Failing America And What Can Be Done About It
by Dr. Durtal; December 21, 2001
"... "My country, right or wrong," is an incomplete rendering of the
Senator Carl Schurz's much more reasonable declaration:
'My Country right or wrong: when right, to keep her right; when wrong, to put her right.' ..."http://www.democraticunderground.com/articles/01/12/p/21_defending.html
- Everything You Know Is Wrong:
The Disinformation Guide to Secrets and Lies
New Book from alterNewswire's editor
- Revising History - The real Jessica Lynch story
by Howard Blume; MAY 23 - 29, 2003
LuntzSpeak is a Website of the National Environmental Trust
Download THE memo . . . but first go into "What Speak?" and LuntzSpeak Decoder.
Read Lunts on how to obfuscate an environmental record of ill repute. -- barb
- PALAST INVESTIGATION OF FLORIDA VOTE THEFT TO AIR ON PBS,
FEATURED AT HAMPTONS INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL
Friday, October 18, 2002
- About the Public Papers of the Presidents of the United States
- RACHEL'S ENVIRONMENT & HEALTH WEEKLY #589
. ---March 12, 1998---
. .HEADLINES: PAVE OUR FARM LANDS!
Here's a written description of a great cartoon, which leads into quite a story. -- barb
- The Novelist Lion Feuchtwanger (1884-1958)
- The Oppermanns
Author: Lion Feuchtwanger , Ruth Gruber
Publication Date: April 2001
List Price: $ 14.00
Best Book Buys http://web.bestwebbuys.com/books/compare/isbn/0786708808
- OMB Watch
1742 Connecticut Avenue, N.W. Washington, D.C. 20009 (202) 234-8494 (202) 234-8584 fax email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Bush Regulatory Report
"Since his first day in office, President Bush has been waging war on health, safety,
consumer, and environmental protections. From ergonomics standards and safe drinking
water to medical privacy and global warming to contractor responsibility and mining
on public lands, this president has made clear that he stands with corporate interests,
no matter the price. OMB Watch has compiled a complete run-down of priority
safeguards and where they stand. (7/17/01)"
- The Post-September 11 Environment: Access to Government Information
"List of Government Info Removed Since Sept. 11"
- U.S. Diplomat John Brady Kiesling
Letter of Resignation, to: Secretary of State Colin L. Powell
ATHENS | Thursday 27 February 2003
An eloquent must read! -- barb
- Bush Moves Iraq Goalposts All Over Field
By Molly Ivins; Fort Worth Star Telegram; Sunday, September 22, 2002
- Bush's War Plans are a Cover-Up, Byrd Says
By Paul J. Nyden; West Virginia Gazette; Saturday, 21 September, 2002
- 2000 Election . . . and aftermath
- "Unprecedented: The 2000 Presidential Election is the riveting story about
the battle for the Presidency in Florida and the undermining of democracy in America.
Filmmakers Richard Ray PÈrez and Joan Sekler examine modern America's most
controversial political contest: the Election of George W. Bush.
"What emerges is a disturbing picture of an election marred by suspicious irregularities,
electoral injustices, and sinister voter purges in a state governed by the winning
candidate's brother. George W. Bush stole the presidency of the United Statesä and
got away with it. ... "
Film festival schedule and video purchasing information. -- barb
- Bush or Gore? ... The Sierra Club has an animated show at http://www.sierraclub.org/twoworlds_animation/
- Candidates - reach them through Politcs1.com
- The faux election
- Still A Thief: Why the media recounts in Florida don't change a thing
by Nicholas Confessore; 2.27.01; The American Prospect
" ... the Republican Party and five Supreme Court justices didn't care what the actual
results in Florida were, period!"
by Jeffrey Rosen ; 12/25/00; The New Republic http://www.tnr.com/122500/rosen122500.html
- T H E C E N T E R F O R R E S P O N S I V E P O L I T I C S
Enron: Other Money in Politics Stats
- Enron: A Look at the Company's Lobbying in 2001
- Judicial Watch
Namebase - Had been known as Public Information Research
- CHENEY ENERGY TASK FORCE DOCUMENTS FEATURE MAP OF IRAQI OILFIELDS
Commerce & State Department Reports to Task Force
Detail Oilfield & Gas Projects, Contracts & Exploration
Saudi Arabian & UAE Oil Facilities Profiled As Well
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE; July 17, 2003
- Lies, damned lies, and Enron
- PHILIP MORRIS INC
Info on PM, Inc.
- THE BUSH ADMINISTRATION - Corporate Connections
- 13 MYTHS ABOUT THE RESULTS OF THE 2000 ELECTION
by Rich Cowan
- 527 scandal undermines GOP case for disclosure reform
By Tom Teepen / Cox News Service; 06-15-00
I bring you this link, because it was the only reference I could find to
"Citizens for God's Own Air," which is NOT an environmental organization!
Thanks to Barri for the heads up! -- barb
- Ambassador James Hormel's Letter to the Senate Judiciary Committee
- People for the American Way
- The Case Against the Confirmation of John Ashcroft as
Attorney General of the United States
PART ONE: AN OVERVIEW OF THE SENATE YEARS
- The Ashcroft Record
- Should you wish to sign a petition against Ashcroft, after you've read the fact sheets ...
- George Bush
The Austin Chronicle
- A picture . . .
- Back in Texas, Bush's Legacy Comes Under Fire
By JIM YARDLEY; New York Times; April 24, 2001
"A USTIN, Tex., April 23 ã Even though he is no longer governor, George W. Bush
is having an unusually tough time with the Texas Legislature. Many of the same
lawmakers who passed tax cuts championed by Mr. Bush are now talking about
future tax increases. Legislators in both parties agree that the state's charter schools,
one of Mr. Bush's pet programs, need to be fixed. . . . "
- Bush: The Real Military Record of George W. Bush: Not Heroic, but Not AWOL, Either
By Peter Keating and Karthik Thyagarajan; George Magazine
- Bush's Military Record: The Ongoing Response
- The closed-door presidency
George W. Bush's appetite for secrecy
By John W. Dean; MSNBC CONTRIBUTOR
- Dallas News
Tie to Bush lawyers an issue for Scalia; 11/29/2000 http://www.dallasnews.com/bush/226140_scalia_29pol.A.html
- What Bush plans to do with the national forests
by Evan sisson 2:04pm Wed Mar 21 '01
- SAVE THE CLIMATE TREATY !
Flood GEORGE BUSH with your E-mails!
Friends of the Earth plan mass action for the next UN climate conference set to make or break the
Kyoto Protocol in Bonn July 21st .... Watch this space !
- The Governor's 'Clean Air' Bill Hasn't Cleaned Up Texas' Air
The Greening of George W. Bush
BY LOUIS DUBOSE; October 27, 2000
- The Lawsuit That Wouldn't Die
BY ROBERT BRYC ; January 26, 2001
"You read it here first: Within a year, George W. Bush will be ordered to testify
under oath in the influence-buying scandal known as Funeralgate.
" 'Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the
final sense, a theft fom those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are
not clothed. The world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat
of laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children.... This is not a way of life
at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging
fom an iron cross.' -- Dwight D. Eisenhower"
- FAIR - Fairness & Accuracy In Reporting
- A Changed President--or a New Repression?
ACTION ALERT; June 17, 2002 http://www.fair.org/activism/bush-post-ohio.html
- Post Responds to FAIR Alert
ACTIVISM UPDATE; June 24, 2002
- Ashcroft Quizzed About Southern Partisan Endorsement
Attorney general nominee refuses to condemn white supremacist magazine
January 19, 2001
- George W. Bush
- Scandal? What Scandal?
Bush's Iran-Contra appointees are barely a story
By Terry J. Allen; September/October 2001
- USA Today Conceals Key Information in Recount Story
April 11, 2001
- Mother Jones
- Ashcroft's Power Play
By William Saletan; Nov/Dec 1998
- The Bush Files Archives
- Gore's Secret Electoral Majority
By Mickey Kaus; Posted Tuesday, Nov. 28, 2000, at 11:18 p.m. PT
An Unnatural Order: Why We Are Destroying the Planet and Each Other
by Jim Mason
- How the Grinch Stole the Election
- Monterey Hearld
A copy of Lt. Col. Butler's letter
Posted on Wed, Jun. 05, 2002
- Pearly Gates
Lt. Col. Steve Butler's letter - and more!
- 35 Questions That Won't Be Asked About IRAQ
Congressman RON PAUL (R - TX (14th district)) http://www.angelfire.com/linux/pearly/htmls/bush-ronpaul.html
- Profile of a right-wing conspirator: The case of Theodore Olson
By Martin McLaughlin; 13 February 1999
Justice Scalia's son works in the same office! Isn't that grounds enough to recuse himself? -- barb
- REP America
the national grassroots organization of
Republicans for environmental protection
"the environmental conscience of the GOP"
"The views expressed in TomPaine.com are offered in the spirit of expanding
and enriching public discourse on important issues of the day.
- Gulf War II
- Gulf War Syndrome, The Sequel
'People Are Sick Over There Already'
Steven Rosenfeld is a commentary editor and audio producer for TomPaine.com.
- AN AMERICAN WAY TO RUN AN ELECTION: A Process with Legitimacy
How Much Partisanship Will We Accept from Those Who Manage the Election Process?
- FUNEREAL PREDICTIONS: What a Bush Court Would Look Like
- Bush -
"If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the
dictator." - George W. Bush, December 18, 2000
"The reason we start a war is to fight a war, win a war, thereby causing no more war!" --The first Presidential debate
- Gore -
Note: I have checked out several pages of quotes attributed to Al Gore . . . the ones I found were definitely quotes by Dan Quayle. So I'm not now linking to any Gore quotes websites! If they cannot be truthful, they don't deserve my time. -- barb
Before 9-11, Terror Was Low Priority-- end election and stuff --
- The Texas Two-Step
" George W. and Laura Bush's new Crawford, Texas home boasts a stunning array of eco-friendly
featuresãperhaps not what you'd expect from one of the least environmentally friendly
administrations sinceäum, creation.
By Rose Marie Berger
- Is This a Democracy, or What?
By Jennifer Van Bergen
t r u t h o u t | January 29, 2002
- Common Dreams Common Dreams is a national non-profit citizens' organization working to bring
progressive Americans together to promote progressive visions for America's future.
. . . We are funded exclusively by our members and supporters - no corporate money,
no advertising, no hidden agendas.
- Lambda Letters Project
"... is nonpatisan. However, most of the bills we considerable
favorable to our members are authored by Democrats. -- Webmaster."
- OMB Watch (Office of Management and Budget)
"Promoting Government Accountability"
- About OMB Watch
"OMB Watch was formed in 1983 to lift the veil of secrecy shrouding the White House
Office of Management and Budget (OMB), which oversees regulation, the budget,
information collection and dissemination, proposed legislation, testimony by agencies,
and much more."
- Bush Moves to Turn Back Public Protections; February, 7 2001
MONEY in politics. -- barb
- September 11: Some opinions and info following horrific events of 9-11
Also see EHN's page September 11, 2001
- 9-11 Toxic Aftermath - Cyndi Norman
- Berkeley City Council's Resolution
Read this for yourself ... not as presented in the mainstream media, but as the
resolution was passed by a squeaky tight vote. When you think of the whines of the
Berkeley Chamber of Commerce, remember their role played out with the unregulated
fragrance industry in the changing of the wording for the request to attend Berkeley
civic meetings fragrance-free. Respecting the right to breathe during a civic meeting
does not hurt business in Berkeley . . .
Regarding Berekeley's Council Action on Afghanistan,I know people who are traveling to Berkeley to shop BECAUSE of the Council's action. Just watch, other areas around the country will follow in the footsteps of Berkeley's City Council -- barb
Council Member Dona Spring states:
These are the actions that the Council passed by a 5-4 vote:
1) condemn the mass murder of thousands of people on September 11, 2001, and express our profound grief at the atrocities last month that killed thousands of innocent people in New York, Washington, and Pennsylvania, and acknowledge, honor, and support the heroic rescue efforts on the part of dedicated police and fire departments, and the city, state, and federal governments; and 2) ask our representatives to help break the cycle of violence, bringing the bombing to a conclusion as soon as possible, avoiding actions that can endanger of the lives of innocent people in Afghanistan, and minimizing the risk to American military personnel; and 3) urge our representatives to concentrate all available resources on bringing to justice all of those who were complicit in last month¼s violent attack, and work with international organizations toward the same end; and 4) urge our representatives to devote our government¼s best efforts in collaboration with governments throughout the world, to addressing and overcoming those conditions such as poverty, malnutrition, disease, oppression, and subjugation that tend to drive some people to acts of terrorism; and 5) request that we engage in a national campaign to lessen our dependence on oil from the Middle East and to commit to a nation-wide conversion to renewable energy sources such as solar and fuel cells, within five years.
- Breaking the Cycle
Photos of Memorials around the world. Terrorism begets terrorism. -- barb
- Stories on 9/11 Attacks
- War on the Poor
By Tom Turnipseed; October 22, 2001
- The War Prayer
By Mark Twain
- Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF)
- ALERT: Several "Anti-Terrorism" Bills Threaten Privacy
By Amy Marsh
- Working Assests
Working for Change
Well worth visiting, in my opinion. -- barb
(Barb's email is no longer valid, please contact EHN) (Please put WWW on subject line.)
For general EHN contact information please visit: http://ehnca.org/www/ehnhompg/contact.htm
please e-mail to (Barb's email is no longer valid, please contact EHN) and put "NR" in the subject line.
|As with all organizations, EHN depends upon your contributions of time and energy, as well as your monetary membership support. For your conveninece, a mail-in membership/donation form is available at http://ehnca.org/ehnmemor.htm.|
ehnindex.htm -- rev. 6/30/99
Return to EHN's homepage (http://ehnca.org/ehnindex.htm)
The Environmental Health Network (EHN) [of California] is a 501 (c) (3) non profit agency and offers support and information for the chemically injured. Learn from the work of Julia Kendall, get The BEST of the Reactor, join EHN and receive The New Reactor. See what influence the Chemical Manufacturers have had against those of us with EI. The URL for this page is http://ehnca.org/www/ehnhompg/writenow.htm